Monday, October 12, 2009

Almost Famous

I debated about posting about this, but in the end decided I am not quite as famous as I had hoped I would be, so anonimity seems less useful (and I am leaving town soon).

YES, it was me in the National last week. That blockbuster below the fold article about a hapless young(ish) man who does not own a car in Dubai, but rather gets 'sticky' when he rides to work on his bicycle. Now the young(ish) man has a new alternative; the metro! Along with his trusty sidekick - Senior Brompton, he flies effortlessly to the metro station (easily beating the trailing auto-bound photographer (OK, so I ran a couple of lights)).

As far as I know, its the only non-roadsters, non-it will be here someday bicycle master plan, article I have seen in Dubai. Only in Dubai would I make the paper for riding my bike to work. Hopefully a couple of people read it and hopefully a couple of those people might think, hey, maybe I'll try that! Wolfi should stock up now, them babies gunna be flying off the shelf!


They must have taken about 500 photos, suppose they picked this one since it has the metro station in the background. Thank God they picked one where I wasn't wearing my helmet! Would have been dork-ville central.

Just for the record:

  1. It is still quicker to ride the whole way than to ride and fold and take the metro (even when you take into account changing)
  2. I never said 'sticky', I prefer, 'icky gross', or 'sweaty beast'
  3. I do hope that more people start cycling, but not just when it gets cooler. Come on peeps, learn to love your sweat!

1 comment:

  1. I saw some foldables in dragon mart for the price concious!

    ReplyDelete