Monday, April 27, 2009

In the long run


I’ve been hittin’ the bricks lately (and the sands and the asphalt) for some sweet long runs. I am trying to get the mileage up before the brunt of the heat shows up and makes it less than appealing to go for a 3 hour run. I am also testing out different routes out of the city as part of an opening leg for a run across the desert!

Yes indeed, from the wacky mind that brought you cycling to work comes a new adventure… running to Dibba!! This idea may or may not have something to do with my recent perusal of Arabian Sands by Wilfred Theisger (which is a great read by the way, highly recommend it). That, and I need a serious challenge now and again to give myself purpose and basically to spice up life.

I am hoping the trip can be made unsupported, that is, we carry our own equipment the whole way and camp at night (i.e. fastpacking). Water and food could of course be picked up along the way, but I am trying to avoid the need for an automobile trailing behind waiting to rescue or restock us. I figure we could get across the desert section in 2 or three days, and depending on route choice the mountain section in another 3 to 4 days. I’ve got some feelers out to my running buddies in London and NY to see if they want to join in on the adventure.

Anyhow, in anticipation of my daring desert dash, I have started to explore the possible routes I could take out of the city. So far I have run out to the Dubai Outlet Mall (13.5 miles) and over to Al Awir (aka where the Explorer Off road directions to fossil rock start), which is just past the Dubai bypass road at Dubai - Hatta Rd (20 miles). Neither route is ideal, both involve multiple highway crossings and pass through large half finished developments, but each has its charms.

My route out to the Outlet Mall took me from Downtown Burj Dubai, under the mass of highway ramps that used to be Doha St. (where it will someday pass over the creek extension), across Al Khail Rd at Oud Metha Rd, up the Roadsters weekday haunt, around the Nad Al Sheba Palace (which was the loveliest part, nice trees!), across a patch of surprisingly undeveloped desert, under Emirates Rd, along all sorts of construction, under the Dubai Bypass Rd through the future Universal Studios and into the mall. More sussinctly, I followed the Dubai-Al Ain Rd a bit off to one side. In a word, boring (except that bit in the trees).



The wonders of modern technology - GPS watches!


I was going to take the bus home, but I had to meet a friend for drinks, so a taxi home it was. I don’t understand how this city can build these absolutely monster interchanges in one place and absolutely nothing in another. A small underpass would work just fine, but no, you have to drive about 10 minutes out of your way in the wrong direction in order to get home (adding 24 dhiram to the trip).

My run out to Al Awir was a bit more interesting. I basically started the same way, but from Nad Al Sheeba I peeled off following the power lines in an easterly direction. I had to hop over a couple of fences and veer off course a bit to get over Emirates Rd, but otherwise it was the power lines service road most of the way. While running under power lines doesn’t sound very exciting, it is at least a small respite from the masses of development around you, and the footing is pretty good too. Once you get past the Dubai Bypass Rd the desert properly opens up, very pretty and loads of camels (none of which would agree to give me a ride)! As a bonus, the bus heads out to Hunaywah as well (the 11A), so on my next big run I can start there and head further into the desert!

No comments:

Post a Comment